Air : Nearest airport is
at vaigaikulam, 14 km from the heart of the
Rail : Connected by
Broad Gauge Rail Tirunelveli, Chennai, Mysore,
Bangalore,Madurai and Trivandrum.
Road : Connected by
National Highways with Madurai and Tirunelveli.
At present the three roads connecting
Thoothukudi with Madurai, Tirunvelveli, and
Ramnad are being converted into four-lane
15,72,273 (Census 2001)
654.8 mm (Annual)
Max : 40.5°C Min : 18.5°C
|STD Code :
580 Km from Chennai
The town is also known as “Pearl City”.
Tuticorin is traditionally known for its pearl
fishery and shipbuilding. Thoothukudi became the
centre of the Indian independence movement.
In the early 20th century, with leaders like
poet Subramanya Bharathy, Veerapandia Katta -
bomman, Vellaya Thevan, and V.O. Chidambaram
Pillai. In 1906, freedom fighter V. O.
Chidam-baram Pillai, with the help of Bal
Gangadhar Tilak, launched the first Swadeshi
ship “S.S. Gaelia” from this port town in
The major harbour of Tuticorin is well known as
a pearl diving and fishing centre. Tuticorin,
one of the oldest sea ports in the world, was
the seaport of the Pandyan kingdom after Korkai
and later was taken over by the Portuguese in
1548, captured by the Dutch in 1658, and ceded
to the British in 1825. The lighthouse built in
1842 marked the beginning of the history of
Thoothukudi harbour development.
The District of Thoothukudi was carved out as a
separate district in the year 1986 as a result
of bifurcation of Tirunelveli district.