The statue, standing amid the dancing blue
waves, creates a lasting impression as it rises
high over the rock.
The foundation stone for the statue was laid
in 1979 by the then Prime Minister, Morarji
Five hundred sculptors were engaged for this
work under the able guidance of Dr. Ganapathi
Sthapati and the work was completed in 1999. The
statue was inaugurated on 1st January 2000 by
Dr. M.Karunanidhi, the Chief Minister of Tamil
Nadu. The rocks for the sculpture came from
Sirudhamoor, Pattumali-kuppam and Ambhasamudram
The monument, installed at a cost of Rs. 6.14
crores is 133 feet high including the pedestal,
signifying the 133 chapters of the ‘Thirukkural’.
The pedestal is 38 ft high representing the 38
chapters in the first part of the Kural (the
Book of Aram (virtue) and the 95 ft statue
represents the total chapters in the second and
third parts of the Kural, Wealth and Love.
Thus the statue symbolises the themes of
wealth and love based on virtue. The right hand
of Thiruvalluvar with three fingers pointing
skywards, also signifies the three cantos of
‘Thirukkural’ - ‘Aram, Porul and Inbam.’
The pedestal is surrounded by an artistic mandapam known as ‘alankara mandapam’.
Surrounding this mandapam stand statues of ten
elephants signifying 8 directions with earth and
140 steps are constructed inside the mandapam
to enable the visitors to climb upto the foot of
There were plans to inscribe select couplets
from ‘Thirukkural’ on the outer periphery of the
The statue is just 400 metres away from the
shores and ferry service is available.
Contact : Ph : 04652-246276
Government Museum :
1 km from the Bus stand and
situated on the Gandhi Memorial Road with
collection of sculptured artifacts and crafts of
South Indian temples is one of the ‘must see’
places are here. Time : Opened from 9.30 a.m. to
5.00 p.m. on all days except Fridays, 2nd
Saturdays and National holidays.
Government Fruit Farm :
It is 2 KM from Kanyakumari on the Nagercoil
road. Variety of fruits, hundreds of plants,
different species of trees etc., can be seen.
Visiting Hours: 09:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. and
01:00 P.M. to 03:00 P.M. Holiday: Saturday,
Sunday and all Govt. Holidays.
Guganathaswamy Temple :
1 km from the Bus stand. It have
been built by the king Raja Raja Chola. The
architectural style of the Cholas is quite
apparent in this temple. It is located near
railway station. 6 am. to 11:15 & 5 p.m. to 8:45
Thiruvithamcode Church (Arappally) St.
Thomas Pilgrim Centre.
historic Thiruvithamcode Church was
built by St. Thomas, the Apostle of
India in 63 AD in the name of the Holy
Mother St. Mary. This is believed to be
one of the oldest church structures in
church, known among local people as ‘Thomayar
kovil’ is believed to be one of the
oldest in the world. Once upon a time
this place of worship was the epicentre
of a community of Malankara Christians,
or St. Thomas Christians. Over a period
of time, there was a large-scale
migration of the community to central
Travancore. The church remains with the
Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church.
Catholicos of the East and Malankara
Metropolitan Baselios Mar Thoma Didymos
I proclaimed the church as an
international St. Thomas pilgrim centre
on December 16, 2007.
Thiruvithamcode is 2 km southeast of
Thuckalay. Thuckalay is 35 Km from
Kanyakumari and 15 Km from Nagercoil &
situated on the Kanyakumari -
St. Mary’s Orthodox Syrian Chur,
thiruvithamcode, Kanyakumari Dist. -
629174, Ph : 04651-250219.
Kamaraj Memorial :
Located 1 km from the Bus stand.
Regarded as the ‘King Maker of India’ Kamaraj
influenced many political event in the country.
From a humble background he rose to become the
Chief Minister of Tamilnadu through sheer hard
work and political acumen. As a tribute to the
freedom fighter and ‘Perunthalaivar’, this ‘Mani
Mandapam’ was opened on 02-10-2000. It is
situated near Gandhi Memorial, Opens at 7 a.m.
to 7 p.m.
Kumari Amman Temple
2 km from Railway station. This
temple and the nearby bathing Ghat attract
tourists from all over the world. According to a
legends, Devi did penance here to secure Lord
Siva’s hand in marriage. When she was
unsuccessful, she vowed to remain a virgin (Kanya).
The Diamond nose-ring of this deity is famous
for its sparkling splendour which is supposed to
be visible even from the sea. Ph : 04652-246223.
Kumari Hall of History :
We can see here it’s wonderful
treasure of manscript and photo art galleries of
our leading personalities and freedom fighters.
It is located near the Kanniyakumari Railway
Station. 1 km from the Bus Stand. Visit 9.30 am
- 9 pm Entry fee for students Rs. 10 only. Ph :
04652-248448, Chennai office Ph : 28474588.
3 km from Tiruvithangod Bus
stand. The vinayaka of Keralapuram, near
Thukalay, is a puzzle to everyone, as the deity
changes its color. It remains black for six
months and white for the remaining six months.
Hanging Bridge :
This bridge has become a place of tourist
importance and hundreds of tourists visit this
place. This is situated in Mathur, hamlet of
Aruvikkarai revenue village in Thiruvattar
Panchayat Union. The bridge has been constructed
at Mathur across the river Parazhiyar at a cost
of Rs.12.90 lakhs and the trough canal (Pattanamkal
canal) on the bridge carries water for
irrigation from one side of a hill to the other
side of a hill. The trough has a height of seven
feet with a width of seven feet six inches. The
canal is being shouldered by 28 huge pillars. By
the unrelented efforts of late Thiru. K.Kamaraj,
the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, this
canal was constructed as a drought relief
measure and for the development of agriculture
in Vilavancode and Kalkulam Taluks. The District
Administration has recently put up a staircase
from top to the bottom of the bridge and also
built a children's park and bathing platforms
Maruthuva Malai :
10 km from Nagercoil Bus stand.
Maruthuva Malai also known as the Marunthu
Vazhum Malai-the abode of medicinal herbs, forms
part of the western ghats. According to
tradition, the Maruthuva Malai is a fragment of
the Sanjeevi Mountain, a piece of which fell
down here, and it was carried by Hanuman from
Mahendragiri to Srilanka for healing the fatal
wounds of Lakshmana, the brother of Rama, the
epic hero. It’s height of 800 feet at the
This is a natural dam constructed by T. Chitirai Maharaja. It supplies water to
Nagercoil Municipality and it is also proposed
to feed water from here to Suchindram and
Kanyakumari. It is very picturesque spot and
ideal for picnics by groups.
18 km from Nagercoil. Another fine beach located
about 40kms from Kanyakumari. The picturesque
setting here with the lighthouse, is a perfect
spot for relaxation.
3 Kms from Kanniyakumari. It is a place where
calm abides and peace regins, all under August
aegis of Sun and the Moon. A fine day to visit
this place is on ‘Chithra Pournami’- a full moon
day in the month of April.
Muttam : Another fine beach located about 40kms
from Kanyakumari. The picturesque setting here
with the lighthouse, is a perfect spot for
Sri Bhagavathi Amman Temple, Mandaikadu :
The temple is built after the Kerala
tradition in a very simple style. The roof of
the temple has orange colour tiles, an anthill
touching the roof. At the upper end is the face
of Goddess Bhagavathi. People cook a pudding
here with rice flour, sugar, jaggery called
Mandaiappam and offer it to the Goddess for
relief from headache and none is disappointed,
it is widely said. Devotees aspiring for
marriage alliance to be concluded and children
visit the temple for fulfillment of their
expectations. Those suffering from severe
headache and effects evil impacts and the
handicapped pray to Bhagavathi Amman for reliefs.
Festivals: 10 days Masi festival (March-April)
draws a huge crowd numbering 10 lakh. On
Poornima day too. The crowd would be huge during
the Tuesdays and Fridays of the Tamil month.
Mandaikadu is 75 Kms from Thiruvananthapuram and
95 from Tirunelveli. There is facility in the
temple for staying. Ph : 04652-246223.
Padmanabhapuram Palace :
Located on the highway to Nagercoil to
Kanyakumari. 37 Kms from Kanyakumari. 60 km from
Tiruvananthapuram, was once the home of the
Royal family of Travancore. There is a palace
inside the fort which covers an area of 6 acres.
It is one of the biggest palaces in India with
intricate carvings and beautiful woodwork.
Travancore, which was a princely state for over
400 years, included a large part of present-day
Kerala and the western part of Tamil Nadu.
Though the palace is now in the State of Tamil
Nadu, it was once the traditional home of the
royal family of Travancore, so it is maintained
by the Government of Kerala. The palace is one
of the best examples of the traditional wooden
architecture of Kerala. The Palace is famous for
its 17th and 18th century murals, carved
mahogany ceiling, coloured mica windows, secret
underground passages, inner courtyards, museum,
four poster medicinal bed, Belgian mirror,
pictures of Lord Krishna, granite dance halls
and special black shiny floors which are made
from a unique combination of egg white, jaggery,
lime, burnt coconut, charcoal and river sand. Ph
Pechiparai Dam :
56 Kms from Nagercoil .The dam
site is a very good picnic spot and it is
situated at a distance. Boating facility is
Peer Mohammed Dargha :
1 km from Thuckalay Bus Stand. There is a Dargha named
Peer Mohammed Oliyullah Dargha’ at Thuckalay named
after the great philosopher Mohamed Appa, who was
born in Tenkasi of Tirunelveli District. After spending
sometime in spiritual pursuits in Peermedu of Kerala State
he came and stayed at Thuckalay. Being a Tamil poet of
great eminence, he wrote many books on philosophy.
Saikuthambi Pavalar Memorial :
He was born on 31-07-1874. He was having good
knowledge of tamil grammar and literature. In
10th March 1907 he performed ‘Sathavathana
Programme in the presence of Tamil Scholars and
got appreciation. He took part in the
Independence struggle. He died on 13-12-1950. As
a mark of respect his memorial was opened on
26-09-1987. His memorial is located in Idlakkudi
Kottar Post, Nagercoil.
Sanguthurai Beach :
Sanguthurai is a beautiful beach resort
and is very convenient for the local population
of Nagercoil. It is only about 10 kms from the
city. Unfortunately no infrastructure facilities
were available in this beach. The district
administration has now sanctioned a project for
putting up of a children's park, seating
facility, open huts (Kudils) with Terracotta
roofs and lighting facility at the beach at a
cost of Rs.6.00 lakhs. The entire work has been
completed. It is also proposed to put up a few
shops for Women Self Help Groups at the site,
which can provide eatables to the on coming
tourists at the beach side.
Shothavilai Beach :
It is about 10 Kms from Kanyakumari, is one
of the best natural beaches of the district. The
beach has shallow water and High sand dunes on
the back ground. The District Administration has
through its own funds and through the funds of
MPLAD scheme, put up rest shelters, kudils and a
view tower over here for the benefit of
tourists. The tourists can reach the beach
through the newly laid coastal road which is a
very beautiful drive along the sea-coast.
Bernadet Church - Kottar
Native of France – St. Bernadet was born at
this city of Lourdh; poor family. She had strong
faith in Good she dedicated herself to the noble
cause-service to the poor she breathed her last
at the age of 35 years.She was honoured only in
1933 with ‘saint’ In the same year a church was
erected in honour of the Bernadet in Mangala
kuntru parish in kottan District.Every Thursday
special prayers are offered. Devotees
irrespective of cast and religion throng
here.Location : 35 km from Nagercoil; 45 km from
Kanyakumari; 115 km from Tirunelveli.
Time of Prayer : Monday to Saturday – 6 A.M
Sunday – 8.30. A.M Thursday – 5.00.P.M.Special
Prayer Festival :In the first Friday of
May 10 days festival starts.
Xavier Church :
St.Xavier an outstanding and dedicated priest
visited the coastal areas of Tamil Nadu from Goa,
he never missed the opportunity of visiting
Kottar in Kanyakumari district which was a
celebrated commercial centre at that time.
During his stay at Kottar, he used to worship
St. Mary in the small temple. He was popularly
known as “Valiya Pandaram” among the people of
Kottar. While he was at Kottar, he averted the
invasion of Padagas on the people of Venad which
was appreciated by the king, who became closer
to the Priest. In recognition of Xavier’s
services, the king allotted a land to him for
the purpose of constructing a catholic church at
Kottar. The church records show that the church
was built in the year 1600 A.D. In the year
1865, the Church was enlarged and the shrine of
our lady was also renovated and vaulted over. In
1930, the church was raised to the status of a
Cathedral.In 1955, the church was further
extended and the chapel of Our Lady was
incorporated into the enlarged church. Ph :
The Thanumalayan Temple here is a repository
of art treasures. Musical pillars and huge 18
feet Hanuman Statue are the proof of the
artistic skill of the time. This unique temple
is dedicated to the Trimurthys Vishnu, Siva and
Brahma. Two chief attractions are the gigantic
Hanuman and Vinayaki (Female Vinayaka) relief
carving. Ph : 04652-241421.
Sunrise can be seen in Kanyakumari
through out the year at Bay of Bengal. Sunset
can be seen from view tower through out the year
except the months of June, July and August.
Swami Vivekananda Rock Memorial :
This grand memorial to the great Indian
Philosopher Swami Vivekananda is on one of the
twin rocks jutting out from the sea about 200
meters offshore. There is a Dhyana Mandapam
where one can sit in a serene atmosphere and
meditate. Ferry services are available to reach
the memorial. Ph : 04652-246201.
Thekkurichi, a tiny village with calm
seashore lies near the west coast Road. Calm Sea
shore with shady casuarina trees create a
It issituated on the west coast near Painkulam
village in Vilavancode taluk is having a fine
beach adorned with coconut groves. This village
had in ancient times, trade relations with
foreign countries like Arabia. Thengapattinam is
having the estuary of the lovely river
Thamiraparani with its non-salty water entering
the sea. The river back waters are surrounded by
charming dense coconut groves. Boat riding on
the river backwaters is really an enjoyable one.
It is 35 kms from Nagercoil and 54 kms from
Thirparappu Water Falls :
Thirparappu means ‘a pavilion of beauty and
sacredness’. The panoramic view of the shrine
with green hills and the Perennial river Kodayur,
running in front of the shrine, is really
fascinating and attractive. The sparkling
waterfall is a rich feast for the eyes. A bath
is most refreshing. 70 kms from Kanyakumari.
Thiruvattar is located at a distance of 70-km
from Kanyakumari. The temple here is one of the
finest specimens of temple art and architecture.
The paintings on the walls of the temple are
This rock cut hill temple is
built on top of a small hill accessed through a
flight of 300 steps. Much of the temple is
within a cave. The cave temple is in three
levels successively increasing in elevation.
There also shrines to Vinayakar and Kasi
Vattakottai Fort :
It is a seaside fort near Kanyakumari, the
southern tip of India. It was built in the 18th
century as a coastal defence-fortification and
barracks in the erstwhile Travancore kingdom. It
was constructed under the supervision of Captain
Eustachius De Lannoy, an ex-Dutch naval officer
of the VOC, who became commander of the
Travancore army (the very army that defeated him
in the Battle of Colachel) in the 18th century,
after he earned the trust of the Travancore King
Marthanda Varma. De Lannoy constructed
Vattakottai, as part of the defence-fortifications
he undertook throughout Travancore. The fort is
made of granite blocks and, today, a part of the
fort extends into the sea. It is a protected
site under the Indian archaeological department.
A major renovation of the fort was undertaken
recently by the department, and the site is now
a popular tourist spot. Vattakottai Fort
commands a picturesque view of both the sea on
the one side, and the hills (Western Ghats) on
the other. Another interesting feature near the
site is a beach of black sands. It is about 7 km
from Kanyakumari town.
and Telescope house :
Panoramic view of the landscape, sea shore,
Vivekananda rock memorial, Thiruvalluvar statue
etc., can be seen at view tower and through
telescope. Visit : 5 am to 7 pm Entry fee:
Rs.3/- for adults and Rs.2/- for children.
Velu Thambi Dalawah Memorial :
It is 30 Km from Kanyakumari. This
place is historically important since it is the
birth place of the great revolutionary Velu
Thamby Dalawah, the Diwan of Travancore who rose
against British. His ancient home at Thalakulam
village was once destroyed by the British. His
personal belongings and the weapons used by him
in war against British are kept here.
Ulakkai Aruvi is a natural waterfall situated
in Azhagiapandipuram village of Thovalai Taluk.
Water is available in this water fall in the
summer season. Many tourists come here for
bathing and to enjoy the nature. The pathway to
this waterfall lies in the Reserve Forest.
Wandering Monk Exhibition :
Located at 1 km from the bus
stand. Terracotta designs depicting incidents of
Swamiji's wanderings and pictures of various
places visited by Swamiji are exhibited here.
The building is designed on the spiritual
architecture of the Orient. The formation of the
building represents the Meru of Sri Chakra and
expresses the flame of fire raging within the
monk which helped him to enlighten the world.
Udayagiri Fort :
Built during the regime of King
Marthanda Varma (1729-1758 A.D) this fort had a
foundry for casting guns. In 1741, King
Marthanda Varma defeated the Dutch at Colachel.
De Lennoy was taken as one of the 24 European
prisioners but soon became a trusted General of
the King. Later trained the King’s soldiers in
the European method of warfare. Tourists can
visit this fort during daytime. 34 kms from
Wax Museum :
India’s first wax museum at Baywatch Water
Theme park. The museum, modeled on the lines of
Madame Tussaud’s in London, is as part of an
attempt to attract national and international
tourist to park. The park’s entry fee of Rs.200
per head would cover a visit to the wax museum,
but a fee of Rs.50 would be charged for a visit
to the museum alone.
For nature-lovers and adventurers - pristine and
beautiful, places like Keeriparai haven’t been
publicized much by the Forest Department for
various reasons - Keeriparai hills (30 km from
Nagercoil) and the nearby Kalikesam are good
picnic spots - one can enjoy water rushing
through small mountain streams - with pebbles
and ferns all around. There are also a few small
waterfalls in this area - the popular one being
Vattaparai Falls. Maramalai, which is further up
in the hills of Keeriparai is famous for Wild
It is the headquarters of the Vivekananda
Kendra, situated 1 km from Kanyakumari. There is
an imposing statue of Swamy Vivekananda as a
wandering monk and a unique pictorial
Other Importance of Kanyakumari
The statue of Jesues Christ brought from
The Saint’s Church built in 1924 at Muttam is
an old Church. A flag post of 75 feet height
carved of stone is a notable thing here. Now it
has follow down due to heavy storm. The altar (peedam)
in the middle of the church has been carved out
of wood. We can witness everywhere the beautiful
artistic works. There is a statue of Mother Mary
with Infant Jesus in her hands inside the
temple, it was brought from Londan by ship and
Colour changing Ganapathy :
Lord Vinayaga in Keralapuram Mahadevar Temple
near Thakkalai is an wonderful deity. During
Dhakshanyana he appears white in colour and
during Udhrayana black in colour. The statue was
made of moon-stone.
Ulakkai Falls :
Near Alagia Pandiapuram we can see beautiful
‘Ulakkai Falls’. If we see the falls at a
distance it looks like a pestle falling down. So
it is called in Tamil as ‘Ulakkai Aruvi’.
The first Christian Church in Tamilnadu :
The church at Thiruvithankode in Kanyakumari
district is the first christian church. Saint
Thomas was one of the Jesus 12 disciples. First
he stepped down at Kodungallur; on the way to
Mylapore in Chennai he would have passed
throught this place. This is the church erected
by him at that time.
Temple built by the prisoners :
Home church in the heart of the city
Nagercoil has been built by the prisoners. Black
stones only were used for the building work. In
order to bring the log of woods and stones the
elephant belonged to Nagaraja temple was used
with the permission of Her highness the queen of
Kovalam of Kanyakumari :
Kovalam is a small coastal village
situated in the Kanyakkumar beach line. The
natural beauty with tall coconut trees, ever
green sceneries, the sea with tides, sandy beach
and calm atmosphere attract the tourists from
far and near.