The History of Dindigul revolves around
the Dindigul fort, as this was a position of
great strategic importance with commanding views
to passes into Madurai from the north side
especially Coimbatore. Dindigul and the fort
figured prominently in the military operations
of the Marathas in the 17th and 18th centuries,
and of Hyder Ali in 1755.
It was captured by the British thrice in
1767, 1783 and 1790. It was restored to Hyder
Ali under treaty after the first two captures
ceded to the East India Company after the
capture in 1799. The town has a sizeable
population of both Muslims and Christians owing
to the place being under the Army of Hyder Ali
and the British subsequently.
Dindigul has the network of inter-district
roads connecting Coimbatore, Erode, Tiruchi,
Karur, Madurai and Sivaganga Districts.
Nilakkottai town is famous for Brass Vessels,
Jewellery and also famous for the growing and
marketing of flowers and Grapes. Ottanchatram is
a noted market centre for vegetables. It is also
famous for the export of butter, manufactured in
the nearby villages using cream separators.
Batlagundu is an important market centre for