LORD Nataraja Temple
47 Kms from Cuddalore. Tall and towering temples mark the landscape of Tamil Nadu. The Nataraja Temple built during the eleventh century is the most celebrated of the south India saivite Temple.
The temple located in the middle of the municipal town sprawls in an area of 40 acres. Inside the walls are four Gopurams embellished with numerous sculptures. They represent various religious scenes and parables.
The East Gopuram, being the main entrance is the oldest and the West Gopuram is more attractive and outstanding.
The inner enclosure is the most sacred and has four of five Sabahs. The Nrithya Sabha, the Hall of Dance is the most beautiful and interesting part of the temple. The Sivakami temple, the sivagami tank and the Hall of thousand pillars are important features of temple.
The presiding deity of the temple is represented by air, one of five elements and is known as Akasa Lingam. The great three Tamil saints Appar, Sundarar and Sambandar have visited the temple and their hymns praise the temple and Divine Dancer, Lord Nataraja.
The Nataraja image in its various forms really holds the devotee as well the tourist in ecstasy. Rodin, the modern sculptor of international repute highly praised the forum and art and the concept of Divine Dance of Lord Nataraja.
Contact : Ph : 04144-222696.
Kattu Mannargudi :
Mannargudi is a taluk. It is called Kattu
Mannargudi to distinguish it from Raja
Mannargudi in Thanjavur dist. The village was
famous for giving birth to famous Vaishnavite
saints, Nadamunigal and Alavandar. The local
Vaishnavite temple is famous for its sanctity.
Lord Pataleeswarar :
Thirupathiripuliyur in Cuddalore district is
one of the ancient saivite shrines in Tamil nadu
sanctified by the visit of two of the four chief
nayanmars viz. Thirunavukkarasar and Thirugnana
Sambandhar. The former part of the name of this
sacred place indicates the Sthalaviruksha
Pathiri Tree and the latter Puliyur indicates
the tiger legged saint who made penance in this
place. It is 100 metres from Thirupathiripuliyur
Railway Station. It is in the centre of the
town. Pidari Amman Temple is situated along with
this temple. Ph : 04142-236728.
Nellikuppam is one of the most important
business centres in Cuddalore District, known
for Sugarcane growers and Sugar Factory. Various
tourist places like Vadalur Sathyagnana Sabai,
Pichavaram, Chidambaram, Neyveli, Cuddalore and
Pondicherry are nearby.
Neyveli (NLC) :
40 kms from Cuddalore. One of the biggest
industrial complexes in the country. Neyveli
Lignite Corporation (NLC) Ltd. is entrusted with
the task of lignite production and power
generation. The company with headquarters at
Neyveli in Tamilnadu is engaged in exploration
of lignite deposit in Tamilnadu.
60 kms from Cuddalore. The Sri Bhuvaraha
swami temple here is one of the eight
self-created Swayam Vyaktakshetras in the South.
The Purushaskuta Mandapam here is shaped like a
ratham on which there are carvings of warriors
mounted on horses and elephants.
Thiruvandipuram Temple :
Lord Venkatachalapathy temple situated at
Thiruvandipuram. It is a few kms away from
Cuddalore. This temple is also well known to be
similar to Thirupathi Venkatachalapathy. Every
Saturday is a special day for Darshan and
peoples come from different places for worship.
Panruti - Jackfruit
The onset of summer indicates the arrival of the Mukkanis - Maa,
Palaa, Vaazhai - (Mangoes, Jackfruits and Bananas). Of course, bananas are
available throughout the year. The other two are not as plenty as bananas. The
Jackfruit, called ‘Palaa Pazham’, in Tamil is the second of the Mukkani. The
sweetness of the Jackfruit is a hallmark of its popularity. The Jackfruit is
available throughout the summer season and once the rain arrives, the jackfruits
are not available and the onset of rain decreases the taste in the fruit and are
not tasty as the ones in the mid-summer. In Panruti, Cuddalore there are
Jackfruit cultivation is more.
56 Kms from Cuddalore. 16 Kms from Chidambaram.
A unique natural phenomenon in the form of mangrove forests which sprawl over 11,000 hectares of backwaters is the tourist attraction here. This areas such as the Sunderbans in West Bengal and in Australia. The numerous channels and creeks are ideal for boating.
A fishing enthusiast will find a variety of fin and shell fish in these waters. A two-hour boat ride through the forest is both soothing and exciting. The boat meanders through overhanging branches and dark channels.
Head back to Chidambaram, where the main attraction is the famous Nataraja Temple. Excursions from Chidamabaram will take you to more temples and archaeological sites.
To reach Chidambaram : East Coast Road to Pondicherry, the Cuddalore Road and then the bypass to Chidambaram, a total of 248 km. Buses run frequently to Chidambaram and from there to Pichavaram (16 km.), Sirkazhi (20 km.), the Vaitheeswaran Koil (24 km.), Arikamedu (75 km.), ancient Indo-Roman trading centre) and Gingee (132 km.).
Contact : TamilNadu Tourism Development Corporation provides. (TTDC) houses cottages, youth hostel restaurants and boating facilities.
Ph : 04144-222739.
A calm village of the historical
coastal town of Cuddalore fall in the group of
Nadu Nattu Tirupati among 108 Divya Desams. The
temple of the Presiding Deity of this Sthala,
Lord Devanatha, is flanked by the inspiring
Oushadagiri, a herbal drop on the lap of time
from the hands of speeding Anjaneya to the
battle field of Lanka and the serpentine holy
river Garuda Nadhi. Ph : 04142-287515.
30 Kms from Cuddalore.
Porto-Novo, also called Parangipettai, in
Chidambaram taluk, is situated on the North bank
of the mouth of Vellar. The Portuguese were the
earliest European settlers of the place from
whom it passed into the possession of the Dutch.
This town has a large Muslim population engaged
mostly in sea-trade. Tombs of several Muslim
saints are situated in this place, most
important among them being the dargah to Saint
Malumiyar, Araikasu Nachiyar, Hafiz Mir Sahib
and Sayed Saheb.
Here is an old Siva temple
dedicated to Lord Pataleswarar which is referred
to in the Thevarams. The Brahmodutsavam festival
in this temple is the largest attended by people
from all over the district.
The Thillai Kaliamman temple is
in the northern corner of the town. It was built
by Kopperunjingam who ruled between 1229 A.D.
and 1278 A.D. Ph : 04144-230251.
50 Kms from Cuddalore. Near and
around this village there are a number of
petrified tree trunks also called fossil wood.
There is also an ancient temple dedicated to
Lord Shiva, dating back to the Chola period. Ph
Sri Ramalinga Adigalar (Arutperum
Jothi) was born in Vadalur on 5.10.1823 as 5th
son of Sri Ramaiya Pillai & Sinnammaiyar. From
1870, Vallalar lived in Siththi Valagam at
Metukuppam. On 30.1.1874 (death) he became
“Arutperum Jothi”. A unique prayer hall was
built by Vallalar in this place in 1872. Ph :