Bolghatty Palace, Bolghatty Island :
This Dutch palace is situated on Bolghatty island which is just a short boat ride away from the mainland. The palace has been converted to a hotel run by the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC). The island has a tiny golf course and the panoramic views of the port and the harbour, makes it an attractive picnic spot. Frequent boat service is available from the mainland.
Cherai Beach :
This lovely beach ideal for swimming is located on the north end of Vypeen island, one of the many small islands just off the mainland. The beach is lined by gorgeous coconut groves and paddy fields. Vypeen can be reached by land or by boat.
Chinese Fishing Nets, Fort Kochi :
The chinese fishing nets (Cheenavala) are distinctly unique to Cochin. It is believed that traders from the court of the Chinese ruler Kublai Khan introduced these nets here. Oddly, these nets are found only in Kochi, outside China! Many fishermen earn their livelihood by fishing using these massive nets. A whole stretch of the coast along Fort Kochi and Vypeen are dotted with these nets.
Dharmanath Jain Temple, Mattancherry :
The Dharmanath Jain temple at Mattancherry is over 100 years old and will soon attain the status of a Thirath, one of the holy places for the Jain community.
Dutch Cemetery, Fort Cochin :
The tomb stones here are the most authentic record of the hundreds of Europeans who left their homeland on a mission to expand their colonial empires and changed the course of history of this land. The cemetery was consecrated in 1724 and is today managed by the Church of South India.
Dutch Palace, Mattancherry :
The Dutch Palace was originally built by the Portuguese. Later, in 17th century, the Dutch modified it and presented it to the Raja of Kochi. Coronation of many Rajas of Kochi were held here. The palace has a fine collection of mural paintings depicting scenes from the Hindu epics Mahabharatha and Ramayana. The palace is located in Mattancherry.
Ernakulam Shiva Temple :
The Shiva temple is located in the heart of
Cochin near the Durbar Hall grounds. Facing the
historical Rajendra maidan, on Park Avenue, is
this famous temple, considered to be amongst the
most ancient in central Kerala. Though no
historical records exists to indicate a precise
date, an incription found above the main
entrance in Vattezhuthu, an antiquated sctipt,
Suggests that the sanctum sanctorum was built in
the year 1614. The deity is popularly referred
to as Ernakulathapan.
Fort Kochi Beach :
A stroll along the beach, particularly at
sunset with the chinese fishing nets and sailing
ships in the background, is a memorable
experience. Many European style bungalows can be
seen along the shoreline. The coastal stretch
has loads of small stalls, which make on demand
mouth-watering traditional cuisines using
freshly caught fish.
Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha :
This is the only gurdwara in Kerala, since
Cochin has the highest number of Sikhs in the
state. The gurdwara is located close to the
south end of MG Road. The first gurdwara in
Cochin was built in 1955. The gurdwara was
relocated in 1975 and the original foundation
stone was moved as well. Unlike most gurudwaras
this one has only one entrance due to space
Hill Palace, Tripunithura :
Built in the 19th century by the Raja of
Kochi, this palace served as the seat of the
Raja of the Kochi province. The palace has been
converted into a museum displaying a fine
collection of articles showing the wealth and
splendour of the Rajas of Kochi, including the
throne and the crown. The musuem also houses a
large collection of archaeological findings.
Hill Palace is located 16km east of Cochin in
Tripunithura, a satellite town of Cochin. Open 9
a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed on Mondays. Entrey fees :
Rs. 20 for adult, Rs. 10 for Children. Ph :
Indo-Portuguese Museum, Fort Cochin :
Located within the compund of the beautiful
1506 Biship’s Hosue, the museum established in a
seperate building showcases artefacts like
statues and coins left back by the portuguese.
Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Kaloor :
The Nehru stadium in Kaloor, has a seating
capacity of 60,000 in multiple tiers. It is the
fourth largest stadium in India and the largest
in Kerala. The ground is lit by a set of unique
convex pylon floodlights that arch over the
ground. The stadium is home to both the Kerala
Ranji cricket team as well as FC Kochi football
Jewish Synagogue and Jew Town, Mattancherry
The synagogue, built in 1568, is
magnificently decorated by Chinese tiles and
Belgian chandeliers. Giant scrolls of the Old
Testament can be found here. It is located near
the Dutch Palace in Mattancherry.
Kalli Kota, Tripunithura :
As the name suggests, this beautiful,
imposing building - a legacy of the Dutch rule -
served as an entertainment auditorium to the
erstwile royalty featuring dance, drama, and
plays. Today it functions largely as a marriage
hall. Situated near Poornathreyesa temple.
Kerala Lalitha Kala Akademi Art Centre,
Located on DH Road, this hall, now opened up
as an art centre, had been the durbar of the
Raja of Coachin. Open 11 am. to 7 pm. Ph :
Light House, Vypin :
The light house at Ochanthuruth in Vypin is
open from 3 pm to 5 pm, on all days.
Madhavan Nair Foundation, Edappally :
Just 8 km from Ernakulam town at Edappally.
Showcases the historic events and arts of Kerala.
A statue of Parasurama, the sage who is said to
have created Kerala, greets the visitor. This is
a monument to the history of Kerala and homage
to its makers. Light ‘n’ sound shows are
regularly organised with commentaries in English
and Malayalam. There is also a gallery for
paintings and sculptures, displaying over 200
original works by contemporary Indian artists.
Open : 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. closed on Mondays and
public holidays. Entry fees : Rs. 50 for adult,
Rs. 25 for Childrens. Ph : 0484-2558296.
Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary :
Mangalavanam is a protected bird sanctuary
situated right in the heart of Kochi city. It is
the home of many exotic and rare varieties of
migratory and resident birds. Mangalavanam is
located right next to the High Court of Kerala.
Marine Drive :
A stroll along the long tree-lined coastal
pathway that lines the backwater is well worth
the time spent, especially late afternoon or
dusk. The bustling backwaters, dotted with
fishing boats, speedboats, ships, tankers and
passenger boats, can be observed from this
walkway that lines the coast.
Mount Carmel Church, Varapuzha :
This 1642 church is the second Indian
vicariath established by Holy See after Goa. The
Portugese church bells are of great interest.
Museum of Kerala History, Kalamassery :
The museum has on display spectacular
audio-visual exhibits depicting the history and
culture of Kerala along with many life size
statues of many famous personalities and several
paintings depicting Kerala history. Open 10 am
to 4 pm. Closed on Mondays and public holidays.
Ph : 0484-2558296
Pallipuram Fort :
It is the oldest surviving European fort in
India, built by the Portuguese in 1503. The
structure’s walls have round 10 cannon
emplacements. Its situated in Pallipuram on
Vypeen island. Open on Thursdays.
Parade Ground, Fort Cochin :
Covering more than four acres, this larges
open ground was used by the Portuguese, the
Dutch, and the British for conducting military
drills and parades during the colonial years.
The defence establishments of these powers were
housed in some of the elegant buildings
surrounding the ground. Located adjacent to
St.Francis church, the ground today service
largely as a recreation and sporting turf.
Parikshith Thampuran Museum :
This Rajas of Cochin used to conduct their
durbars in this impressive building located
within the Durbar Hall grounds. It was later
converted to a museum which has a treasure trove
of archaeological findings and relics including
old coins, sculptures, oil paintings and murals.
The building has been taken over by the Kerala
Lalitha Kala Academy and now houses the Gallery
of Contemporary Art. All the exhibits of the
museum have been moved to the Hill Palace
Santa Cruz Basilica, Fort Kochi :
The original church, situated in Fort Kochi,
was built by the Portuguese in 1505 and named as
a cathedral in 1558. The British colonists
destroyed the cathedral in 1795. The current
structure was built in 1905 and raised to the
status of a basilica by Pope John Paul II in
Sree Poornathreyesa Temple, Tripunithura :
10 km Southeast of Ernakulam. The deity here
is Maha Vishnu and it is one among three Vishnu
Temples in Kerala. The Tripunithura
Poornathrayeesa Temple is famous for its yearly
festivals. The main one being the
Vrishchikoltsawam, which is conducted every year
in the month of Nov.- Dec. The other cultural
festival includes the Athachamayam which is held
during the harvest festival of Onam and is
celebrated with procession of float, Tableau and
dances like Pulikkali.
Sree Rajarajeswarai Temple, Chottanikkara
15 kms east of Cochin, this 10th century
temple, one of the most renowned in Kerala, is
dedicated to Bhagawati - the mother Goddess. The
deity is worshipped in three different forms -
as Saraswati in the morning, draped in white; as
Bhadrakali at noon, draped in crimson; and as
Durga in the evening, decked in blue. The annual
temple festival is held in Nov-Dec, while the
colourful Athachamayam, a cultural extravaganza,
is celebrated over year during the festival of
Onam. On the fourth day of the Vrishchikoltsawam
festival, apart from the usual procession of
decorated elephants, a golden pot is kept on a
raised platform and offerings made here are
believed to bring in a better future. Ph :
St. Francis Church, Fort Kochi :
It is the oldest church built by Europeans in
India. On his 3rd visit to Kerala, Vasco da Gama,
the Portuguese trader who reached India from
Europe by sea, fell ill and died in Kochi. He
was buried in the St. Francis Church. Later his
remains were taken back to Portugal. In spite of
that, his burial spot inside the church has been
clearly marked out.
Subhash Bose Park, Ernakulam :
This sprawling park is an ideal place for an
evening stroll, a family outing, or to take your
children out for some fun and frolic. The park
adjoins the Vembanad lake offering fantastic
views of the Cochin harbour. A small aquarium is
an added attraction. Entry free.
Thrikkakara Temple :
The Thrikkakara temple, located 10 kms
north-east of Kochi, is considered to be the
seat of famous 10 days Onam celebrations in
Kerala. Thrikkakara is considered to be capital
of the good asura (demon) King Mahabali, whose
rule was prematurely stopped by Lord Vishnu in
the diguise as a Brahmin boy, when the Hindu
gods became jealous of the growing power of the
generous and kind-hearted king. The Vishnu
temple here is the only one of its kind to have
Vamana (one of the incarnations of Lord Vishnu)
as the deity. The annual festival is held in the
month of Chingam (Aug-Sep).
Veega Land :
Veega Land is South India’s largest amusement
park situated 14kms from Cochin. The park
includes a range of attractions including mini
castles, water theme park, ferris wheel, rides,
slides, shows and fountains. Kids and adults
alike can enjoy the fun and activities. Entry
fees:Rs.345 for audlt, Rs. 250 for childrens.
Veega land, Pallikara, Kumarapuram P.O, Cochin -
683 565, Kerala, Ph : 0484-268400, Fax
VOC Gate, Fort Cochin :
Facing parade ground is the large wooden gate
with the intials ‘VOC’ carved onto it
representing the monogram of the once mighty
Dutch East India Company. The incription also
indicates that it was built in the year 1740.
Willingdon Island :
This man-made island was created in 1933 by
sand dredged while deepening the backwaters for
the Cochin Port, under the direction of Sir
Robert Bristow. A while back the Airport, Sea
port and the railway terminus (Cochin Harbour
Terminus) were situated on this island. Today,
it is the home of the Cochin Port and the
headquarters of the Sourthern Naval Command.