Places of Interest

Adyar Poonga Eco-Park :

Adyar Poonga is built with ecological restoration principles. Located in an urban area, this nature park project is an opportunity to provide education and awarness to the citizens of Chennai. The park is planned to have association with eco-clubs of schools and educational institutions in Chennai along with a researth station. The park is an attractive place for bird watchers, nature lovers and environmental enthusiasts. Hon’ble Mr. M.Karunanidhi, Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu laid the foundation stone for the project in August 2007. The Adyar Park is located next to Ambedkar Memorial off Greenways Road, Adyar, Chennai. Entry free. Contact : Ph : 28153103, 28153104,

Anna Nagar Tower :

Anaanagar PoongaAnna Nagar Tower is officially known as the Vishweshwaraya tower park. It is built for the 1968 World Trade Fair. The majestic tower in the middle the park by itself is one of the largest in the city. It has cyclic stairs. Full view of the city can be seen from Top of the Tower. With beautiful landscaped lawns and tracks, the park provides an ideal setting for spending a leisure evening with family. Location : It is located in the eastern side of 'Y' block, at Anna Nagar. Entry is allowed with permission only. Timings: No Holiday. Open from Early morning for morning walkers. Phone : +91-44-26412646




Amir Mahal :

This Palace called as Amir Mahal belongs to the Royal family of Arcot of Nawabs. This palace is situated in an area of more or less 14 acres. This Mahal was built in 1789 and came in to possession of the Arcot Royal Family in 1870. Location : Pycrofts Road, Triplicane, Public allowed with permission only. Time : 10 a.m to 6 p.m. No Holiday. Ph : 28485861.


Connemara Public Library :

Connemara Library

One of the National Libraries of the country, Connemara Public Library has the largest collection of books and periodicals. A centenary building is being added to this library. A Touch Screen Computer has been installed here recently. Located at Pantheon Road, Egmore, Chennai - 600 008. Entry Free. National Holidays. Timing 9.00 a.m. to 7.30 p.m. Ph : 28193751.

The Secretariat - Fort St. George

Fort St George (or historically, White Town) is the name of the first English or British fortress in India, founded in 1639 at the coastal city of Madras (modern city of Chennai.

The East India Company, which had entered India around 1600 for trading activities, had begun licensed trading at Surat, which was its initial bastion. However, to secure its trade lines and commercial interests in the spice trade, it felt the necessity of a port closer to the Malaccan Straits, and succeeded in purchasing a piece of coastal land, originally called Chennirayarpattinam or Channapatnam, from a Vijayanagar chieftain named Chennappa Nayaka based in Chandragiri, where the Company began the construction of a harbour and a fort. The fort was completed on April 23, coinciding with St George's Day, celebrated in honour of the patron saint of England. The fort, hence christened Fort St George, faced the sea and some fishing villages, and it soon became the hub of merchant activity. It gave birth to a new settlement area called George Town (historically referred to as Black Town), which grew to envelop the villages and led to the formation of the city of Madras. It also helped to establish English influence over the Carnatic and to keep the kings of Arcot and Srirangapatna, as well as the French forces based at Pondicherry, at bay.

The fort has been the seat of power for more than 300 years. After independence fort served as the Administrative Head Quarters for the legislative assembly of Tamilnadu and the Secretariat for the past 64 years (Since 1947). Fort St. George (Secretariat) Ph : 044-25665566.


The Flag mast in the Fort St. George, which was constructed by the British still stands with standing the ravages of nature. This is said to be the tallest flag mast in the country. The hoisting of the tricolor on this prestigious flag mast is an every day spectacle, which gains special significance on Independence Day.
Contact : Fort St. George (Secretariat)
Ph : 044-25665566.

Birla Planetarium :


This modern planetarium is housed in a hemispherical theatre. Here a fully computerized projector brings the heavenly bodies to life. The latest astronomical phenomena are brought back to life in stimulated environs. The Periyar Science & Technology Centre situated near Gandhi Mandapam in Kotturpuram enables the visiting public to understand scientific and technological inventions through working models. Timings : In English : 10.45 a.m, 1.15 p.m and 3.45 p.m, In Tamil : 12 noon & 2.30 p.m. Entry Fee: Adult Rs. 40/- Children : Rs. 25/-. Ph : 24410025.

Coovum River :

Famous for its Historical background and notorious for its stench Coovum river was formerly known as Triplicane River. This river runs right across Chennai City and have seven bridges built over it. It’s confluence takes place on the northern side of Marina Beach. The uniqueness of it is further enhanced by the fact that it has found reference in THEVARAM - A Devotional Hymn.

Doveton House :

Founded in 1798, Doveton House built by the renowned architect, Benjamin Roebeck, The colonial pillars in the front and the half-moon steps at the back of the house resemble another famous building of the same period - the White House. Doveton House served mainly as a residential place for English officers of the East India Company. The building took its name from Lt. General John Doveton who acquired it in 1837. He was the soldier in-charge for looking after Tipu Sultan’s sons when Lord Cornwalls held them ass hostages in Madras. It houses the Women’s Christian College today.

Elliots Beach :


A serene beach situated south of Chennai is an ideal picnic spot. The Ashtalakshmi temple constructed on the sands of the beach is another attraction, besides the beach itself. This temple houses the eight faces of Goddess Lakshmi in different shrines group in different tiers of a single tower. The Church of our Lady of Health, Madonna, is also situated on the beach to greet people of all faiths.

The Marina Beach is a beach situated along a 12 km shoreline in the city of Chennai, India along the Bay of Bengal. Unlike the short, rocky formations that make up the Juhu Beach in Mumbai on the west coast of India, the Marina is primarily sandy.
Longest Beach : Although many locals claim the Marina to be the world’s longest (or second longest) beach. A similar beach exists in Dubai, UAE. However, unlike the other beaches, it is an urban beach similar to the Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro. The width of the beach at the most widest stretch is 437 meters long.
Extent : The beach begins near Fort St. George in the north to Besant Nagar in the south, a distance of about 12km. A famous characteristic of the beach is the set of stone statues that adorn the roadside area of the beach. Most statues are of Indian/local legends like Mahatma Gandhi, Kannagi, Thiruvalluvar, while others have symbolic significance like the Statue of Labour. Also memorials for M. G. Ramachandran and C. N. Annadurai, former Chief ministers of Tamil Nadu are present on the beach. Recently, a statue of actor Sivaji Ganesan was installed.
Activities : Visiting Marina beach is a routine activity for tourists. People from all ages come to Marina Beach for walking and jogging. People love to wet their toes in the waves and enjoy fresh air. Ofcourse apart from this Marina is regular meeting point for lovers. Parallel to Marina beach is the beach road that’s reasonably wide and has lots of statues. There is an auqarium on the Marina. As part of “Chennai forever” initiative by Tamil Nadu government, Marina Waterfall (artificial) was installed in Sept 2005.


Flagmast :

The Flag mast in the Fort, which was constructed by the British still stands with standing the ravages of nature. This is said to be the tallest flag mast in the country. The hoisting of the tricolor on this prestigious flag mast is an every day spectacle, which gains special significance on Independence Day. Ph : 25665566.

History of Flag Post

In 1687 when lord yale was the Governor of Madras the First Flag Post was erected in ST George Fort. He was the first man to hoist the flag. After independence our tri colored flag was hoisted on this post only.

Freemasons Hall :

It is the living example of the cultural and traditional heritage of the people who inhabited the ancient city of Madras. The construction of this building was completed in the year 1923. Freemasons Hall was constructed by the East India Company, during the colonial rule. The purpose behind constructing such a building was to create military lodges, secured by the foreign powers. Freemasons Hall is one of the finest buildings of Tamil Nadu. The location of the structure is such that it can be easily reached from any corner of the city. It has been designed with the help of Greek style of engineering. It is situated in Commandar-in-Chief Road, Egmore, Chennai - 600 008.

Kalakshetra :

A renowned training institute for the classical dances & music of India. This “Temple of Arts” was founded by Rukmani Devi Arundale in 1936, to train and encourage young artists and to revive Bharatha natyam, the classical dance form of Tamil Nadu. It imparts training on various branches of theatrical art, in the ancient ’Gurukula’ system and in sylvan surroundings. Location at Tiruvanmiyur, Chennai - 600 041. Entry fee : For Indians Free, for foreigners Rs. 50/-. Timings 10.00 a.m. to 11.30 a.m. No Holidays. Ph : 24521169.

High Court :

Built in the Indo-Saracenic architectural style in 1892, this is another land mark of the city. The High Court is said to be the second largest judicial complex in the country. The Madras Law College is also a part of this complex. This is situated close to the Parry’s Corner, Chennai - 600 001. Entry Free. Holiday : Saturday & Sunday. Time : 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. 25342564.


light houseHorticultural Gardens :

Sprawling over an area of 22 acres, with rare trees, shrubs, flower beds and bonsais. This garden is situated at the heart of the city, near St. George’s Cathedral on Cathedral Road. Seeds, seedlings and plants are on sale. The annual flower show enthuses hordes of visitors. Located : Cathedral Road, Chennai - 600 086. Entry free. Timing : 9.30 a.m. to 1.30p.m. & 2.00 p.m. to 5.30 p.m. Thursday holiday. Ph : 28111758, 28116816.

Lord Ellis the Governor of Madras

In 1818 Lord Ellis was the Governor of Madras State. During his reign Madras was worst hit by severe famine and scarcity of water. So he ordered to dig up 17 wells. One of those wells is seen even today inside Periya Palayathamman Koil at Royapettai.The inscription on the wall of the well depicts his talent in Tamil; the in scription is itself in the form of Tamil Poem. He was fond of Thirukural; so he translated it into English Unfortunately and un expectedly he met his end on Ninth March 1819.

Light House / Aquarium :

At the southern end of the Marina stands the massive and tall Light House beckoning visitors in the evening, and adding glory to the golden sands. Right on the beach there is a Government Swimming Pool. You could see the hectic activities of the fishermen clad in their traditional dhoties (loin cloth) set off for fishing in the specialised raft-like boat called “catamaran”. Situated at Kamarajar Salai, Mylapore, Chennai - 600 004. Visitor’s not allowed to see inside. Ph : 24985598.

Madras Observatory :

The Madras Observatory was established in 1792 to spread the knowledge of astronomy, geography and navigation under the then Governor of Madras Presidency Sir Charles Oakeley. Michael Topping Arch, a sailor and an astronomer, was responsible for building it. William Petrie, an English astronomer and member of the Government of Madras, extended support to Sir Oakeley. Petrie had some fve years earlier built an observatory at his own expense. This observatory was probably the first modern astronomical observatory in the East. Today all that is left of the Madras Observatory are the five monuments that are in a separate enclosure for visitors at the Regional Meteorological Centre in Nungambakkam.

Madras University :

Those who have read the Indian history cannot forget the stressed days of the 1857 mutiny, during which the Madras University was established. Started on the model of the London University, 146 years ago, the University of Madras still continues to be one of the leading centres of education in India. The University was incorporated by the Act (No. XXVII) of 1857 of the Legislative Council of India with a Senate and four faculties (Arts, Law, Medicine and Civil Engineering). The first senate was appointed and the regulations and by laws were drafted in 1857-58. Location : Chepauk, Chennai - 5, Entry Free. Time : 10.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. Holiday: Saturday, Sunday and Govt. Holidays. Ph : 25368778.  

Kandha Kottam

This temple is situated at Rajappa Chetti Street near park town; it dates back 1660 A.D.It was constructed by Velur Mari Chettiar who belonged to Viswakarma community.The prime diety is Shanmuganathan (Murugan) Vadaloor Vallalar Ramalinga Adigal used to visit this temple very often. He has sung many songs in praise of lord Muruga of this temple.Location : This temple is located is between high court and park town. Surasamharam, Karthikai Deepam and Thai Poosam are the special festivals celebrated here.

Kalakshetra :

A renowned training institute for the classical dances & music of India. This “Temple of Arts” was founded by Rukmani Devi Arundale in 1936, to train and encourage young artists and to revive Bharatha natyam, the classical dance form of Tamil Nadu. It imparts training on various branches of theatrical art, in the ancient ’Gurukula’ system and in sylvan surroundings. Location at Tiruvanmiyur, Chennai - 600 041. Entry fee : For Indians Free, for foreigners Rs. 50/-. Timings 10.00 a.m. to 11.30 a.m. No Holidays. Ph : 24521169.


Nappier Bridge :

On the way from Marina Beach to Govt. Secretariat this bridge was built in 1869 across Coovum river by Governor Napier who held this office from 1866 to 1877. What was narrow bridge with Iron Girders this was broadened and built in concrete and was thrown open for General Traffic by Arthur Hope in July 1943. This Bridge bears ample testimony to the Engineering skill of the British.

Napier Bridge

Rajaji Hall :


This banqueting hall of the British was built to commemorate the victory of British over Tipu Sultan. The beautiful Flight of steps of soaring heights there takes you to the spacious hall of this building and it will make you breathless with its beauty and immensity. This is now being used for big public functions and has been renamed as Rajaji Hall after Sri. Rajagopalachari, the first Governor General of India. Location : Omandurar Govt. Estate Anna Salai, Chennai - 600 002. Ph : 25365635.

Rippon BuildingRegional Rail Museum :

The Regional Rail Museum at Chennai is located amid picturesque, serene surroundings at ICF Furnishing Division. Tucked away among the trees, the Regional Rail Museum houses two indoor galleries and a large open area. The indoor galleries house various small exhibits, models, photographs and charts highlighting the development and growth of Railways. Museum provides ample avenues for any type of visitor. The visit promises to be a stimulating, exciting and nostalgic experience for young and old. It has a few toy trains and few 50 yrs old coaches. It is located at New Avadi Road, ICF, near ICF bus stand, Chennai-38, Entry fee : Adult Rs. 5/- Child Rs. 3. Holiday : Monday. Timing : 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Rippon Building :

Another pride of Chennai city, this building was named after Governor Lord Rippon, the father of Self-Government in India. The Chennai Corporation and its council are functioning in this building. Now the Mayor of Chennai Corporation is elected directly by the people. Park Rly.station. Chennai-3. Time : 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Holiday : Sat. & Sun. and Ph : 25384510, 25384520.

Senate House :

The Senate House is one of the most impressive architectural marvels of Chennai. It was constructed under the supervision of Robert Fellowes Chisholm, one of the greatest architects of the 19th century. The foundation of this monument was laid in 1869 and was successfully completed by the year 1873. The Senate House was once the hallmark of the ancient city of Madras. The structure of the building is a fine example of the Indo-Saracenic style with a blend of Byzantine architectural features. The structure comprises a central hall on the ground floor, with corridors which are supported by six stone pillars on either side. The stone arches between the pillars on four towers rising high at the corners of the building, surmounted by exquisitely shaped domes add grandeur to the building. Situated in Madras University Campus, Chennai - 600 005, Ph : 25368778.

Theosophical Society :

Founded by Madam H.P. Blavatsky and Col. H.S. Olcott of U.S.A. to study religion & philosophy. In 1892 the society moved to Chennai and was set amidst a vast expanse of woods on the estuary of Adyar. A largest Banyan tree which is spreads its branches and roots covering a space of 40,000 sq.ft. and gives a serene ambience. Located at Adyar, Chennai - 20. Entry free. Timings : 8.30 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday Holiday. Ph : 24912474.

banyan_tree adyar

Tidel Park :

tidel park

Tamilnadu’s answer in a simple way to Silicon Valley in the United States. A centre of excellence with all modern facilities houses some of the big names in the I.T. industries sector. Not to make life dull there are recreational facilities like Billiards, Table Tennis, Tennis etc., while Canara Bank caters to the Banking needs Higgin Bothams takes care of ‘book-worms’. Location : Taramani, Chennai - 600 113. Visiting only with permission. Sat. & Sun holiday. Time : 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Ph : 22540500 / 501 / 502.

Thiruvottiyur Temple

This temple is one of the oldest temple is North- Chennai, situated at Thiruvottiyur. It belongs to the period of 11th century A.D. Rajendran I of Cholaking has contributed to a great extent in modification of the temple. His inscriptions are found on the walls of the temple. The lord Thiyagarajan bestows blessings here to the devotees. Goddess here is called Thirvudai Amman.It is said that during 800 A.D Adi sankara has visited this temple. Pattinathar also has visited this place and settled here. The temple dedicated to him is seen on sea shore.
Temple Timing : Morning: 6 A.M to 1 P.M Evening: 4 P.M. to 8 P.M

valluvar_kottamTourism Complex :

Tamil Nadu Govt. has created a tourism complex of 9000 sq.feet in 8 grounds of land, in Chennai Omandur Govt. Estate. It houses offices of tourism departments of various state governments. It is situated at Wallajah Road, Triplicane, Chennai - 600 005. Entry Free. Holiday in Sunday and National Holidays. But Tourist informations and other services are working 24 hrs. Ph : 25383333, 25384444.

Valluvar Kottam :

TValluvar Kottam, yet another architectural marvel was built in memory of poet-saint Thiruvalluvar, who is believed to have lived 2000 years ago. The saint authored a didactic book of ethic proportions called Thirukkural consisting of 1330 couplets under 133 headings. The memorial is shaped like a temple car with an auditorium to accommodate upto 4000 spectators. The temple car structure is carved in granite with intricate details using the Dravidian Architectural style. Each chapter of Thirukkural is chiselled in a bas-relief. Location : Valluvar Kottam High Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai - 34. Entrance Fee : Adult Rs. 3/-, Children Rs. 2/- Timings : 8.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. No Holidays. Ph : 28172177.

Vivekanandar House :

An imposing building on the Marina along the beach road, was constructed in 1842 to store Ice bars imported from the U.S.A by the Tudor Ice Company and the business was on upto 1874, till the ice was produced locally. Later this building was purchased by Bilagiri Iyyengar in 1885, who called this building as ‘Castle Kernon’. It was in 1897 Swami Vivekananda visited this city, after his much acclaimed Chicago speech, on his return journey to Calcutta. The Government took over the building in 1930 and in 1963 it was named after Vivekananda, on the eve of his centenary celebrations. The building was renovated in December 1999 and Swamy Vivekananda’s statue was unveiled by the then Chief Minister of Tamilnadu M. Karunanidhi on the 20th December 1999. Located : Ice House, Triplicane, (facing to Marina beach) Chennai - 600005. Entry Fee : Adult Rs. 2/- Child Rs. 1/-. Time : 10 a.m. to 12.00 p.m. & 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday Holiday. Ph : 28446188.


Victory War Memorial :

The Victory War Memorial situated on the i Salai commemorate the victory of the allied armies during World War-I and later became the victory war memorial for the World War-II in memory of those from the then Madras Presidency who lost their lives for the nation. Location at Kamarajar Salai (Near Island ground) Chennai - 600 009.

Raj Bhavan :

TIn those days there was one ‘Guindy Lodge’ which was a house belonged to Chinna Venkatathiri a businessman. In and around that house here was a vast area like forest which was very suitable for sports and games. This place was originally purchased from Langhorn, the English
Governor. After Langhorn returned to England this house was returned to Government. At that time its name was ‘Guindy Mote’. The Government purchased another Armerian place which was adjoined to this house. All these thing happened during the period of sir Thomas Mantro. In between 1821 and 1824 all the lands attached to this house was purchased. All these lands and houses were combined together and this compass is now called Raj Bhavan the residence of the Governor of Tamilnadu.

Abirami Mega Mall (Family entertainment) :

A favourite destination for family, teens and kids, the Abirami mall has everything from shopping to cinema to indoor themed attractions. The mall has a Snow World that is considered to be the best in the country. In addition there is also many indoor games like Kids World and  Kissing Car. It also has a number of shops like Pantaloons, Mega Mart, Globus, Cotton City, Estelle, Colours and more. The mall also features a huge food court serving a variety of cuisines. Located at 152 , Purasalwakkam High Road, Chennai - 600 010. Ph : 26431022.
Web :



<< Back

Home  |  About Madura  |  Tamil Nadu  |  TN Districts  |  Around Tamilnadu  |  Tariff  |  Contact Us

Copyright © 2009 Madura Travel Service (P) Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

Created By MS Labs